VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores
This BLOG On VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores Was Written By Gustan Cho
Many mortgage borrowers do not realize that they can get qualified for VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores. Often many borrowers who are Veterans with a Certificate of Eligibility are told by lenders that they cannot qualify for a VA Loan without have a credit score of at least 620 FICO. Other lenders turn Veterans down because they tell them that VA has minimum credit scores of 640 FICO. Veterans with a valid COE can qualify for VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores. This is not the case. The United States Department of Veteran Affairs, VA, has one of the most lenient mortgage guidelines out of all mortgage programs in the Country. VA realizes that Veterans often do not have the best of credit, especially due to transfers that can happen several times per calendar year as well as deployment. During wartime, it is often difficult to worry about paying their minimum monthly debts overseas and injuries are often common while serving in the United States Military.
About The Department Of Veterans Affairs
The United States Department Of Veterans affairs is not a mortgage lender and does not originate, fund, or services VA Loans. The Veterans Administration insures residential home loans that private mortgage lenders makes to United States Veterans who meet the VA Guidelines. In the event if the Veteran borrower were to default on his or her VA Loan, the Veterans Administration will insure that mortgage lender against the defaulted and/or foreclosed VA Loan. This VA guaranty makes it extremely desirable for private lenders to fund VA Loans due to little to no risk due to the insurance and guarantee by the federal government against losses on VA Loans.
How Much Do I Need To Qualify For VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores
One of the greatest benefits our government gives our Veterans for serving our country and has received an honorable discharge is a Certificate of Eligibility to qualify for VA Loans. Here are the benefits of VA Loans:
- No down payment required for VA Loans
- There is a VA Funding Fee but the VA Funding Fee can be rolled into the VA Loan where there is no need for money out of pocket by the Veteran for down payment
- VA Loan Limits for no money down is normally $417,000, however, VA does not have a maximum loan limit as long as the Veteran can come up with 25% of the VA guarantee if the Veteran goes beyond the $417,000 ceiling
- There are closing costs on all home purchases and refinances, however, on purchases, VA allows the home seller to give the home buyer up to a 4.0% sellers concession towards the home buyer’s closing costs. If the home buyer is short on closing costs or if the home seller is not willing to give a sellers concession, the Veteran can get a lender’s credit to cover part or all of the closing costs
- There is no mortgage insurance premium on VA Loans
- Bottom line is that a Veteran with a COE does not need a penny to purchase a home with a VA Loan
VA Credit Requirements To Qualify For VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores
Qualifying for VA Loans with 580 Credit Scores is no problem at all. VA credit requirements are extremely lenient. However, Mortgage Lenders are not expected to abide to the minimum VA Credit Guidelines. Lenders do have to meet the minimum VA Lending Guidelines, however, they can set higher standards of their own which is called Lender Overlays. Most Mortgage Lenders will set a minimum credit score requirement of at least a 620 FICO Credit Score or higher. However, there are lenders like The Gustan Cho Team at Cross Country Mortgage that will approve Veterans for VA Loans with 580 credit scores.
Here are VA Credit Requirements:
- VA does not have a mandatory minimum credit score requirement
- VA lets the lender to set the minimum credit score requirement
- Most lenders who are approved with the VA to originate and close on VA Loans have Lender Overlays on Credit Scores on VA Loans. Lender Overlays are the individual lender’s requirement which is above and beyond of those of the Department of Veteran Affairs. Most lenders will set lender overlays on credit scores at 620 to 640. The Gustan Cho Team at Cross Country Mortgage Inc. has no lender overlays on VA Loans excepts for a 580 FICO Credit Score
- VA does not have a maximum debt to income ratio requirement. I recently got an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting Approval Findings on a borrower with a 582 FICO credit scores and a 58% debt to income ratio
- 2 year waiting period to qualify for a VA mortgage loan after a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, short sale, and recorded dates of foreclosure and/or deed in lieu of foreclosure
- If you have deferred student loans that are deferred for at least 12 or more months, it will be exempt from from debt to income ratio calculations
Again, VA Loans are one of the most easiest mortgage loan programs to qualify for. However, not all can qualify for VA Loans. Only the men and women who have served in the United States Armed Services with a valid Certificate of Eligibility can qualify for this great loan program.
Lender That Specializes In VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores With No VA Lender Overlays
I get countless of calls by Veterans who shop for VA Loans and are told that they qualify for FHA Loans but not VA Loans with 580 Credit Scores. Again, this is not the requirements of the Veterans Administration BUT because the lender they went to have lender overlays. There is no reson why a Veteran who can qualify for a FHA Loan cannot qualify for a VA Loan. If you were told NO on a VA Loan BUT Yes on a FHA Loan, please contact us at The Gustan Cho Team. As long as you have a minimum credit score of 580 FICO and get an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting System and can clear the conditions on the AUS, we will close on your VA Loan with 580 Credit Scores with no lender overlays. We have a national reputation on closing VA Loans in 21 days from the date you sign your eDisclosures on your VA Loan.
If you need to consult with a national VA mortgage lender that specializes in VA Loans with 580 Credit Scores with no lender overlays, contact The Gustan Cho Team at the contact information below:
Gustan Cho NMLS 873293
Cell: 262-716-8151 Please Text For Faster Response With Contact Information Including Email Address.
Available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays to take calls from 50 states