VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores Mortgage Guidelines
This Article On VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores Mortgage Guidelines
Many borrowers do not realize that they can get qualified for VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores. Actually, the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs has no minimum credit score requirements on VA Loans. However, in order to get an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting System Findings, a 580 credit score is highly recommended.
There are two types of VA Guidelines:
- VA Guidelines
- Lender Overlays
VA Agency Guidelines Versus Overlays
All VA Lenders need to have their veteran borrowers meet VA Guidelines. Lenders Overlays are optional and it is up to the lender on the types of overlays they want to implement.
Here is an example of VA Lender Overlays:
Overlays On Credit Scores:
- VA does not have a minimum credit score requirement
- Many lenders require a 620 credit score although VA does not require any minimum credit scores
- This is called VA Lender Overlays On Credit Scores
Overlays On Debt To Income Ratios:
- Most lenders require a cap on debt to income ratio on veteran borrowers
- VA does not have a cap on debt to income ratios
Overlays On Collections And Charge Offs:
- Many lenders require that charged off and collection accounts to be paid off
- Veteran borrowers can qualify for VA Home Loans with outstanding charged offs and collections without having to pay them off
- This is called overlays on collections and charged-off accounts on VA Loans
Gustan Cho Associates has no mortgage overlays on VA Home Loans. We just go off VA Guidelines and Overlays do not exist.
VA Mortgage Process
Often many borrowers who are Veterans with a Certificate of Eligibility are told by lenders that they cannot qualify for a VA Loan without having a credit score of at least 620:
- Other lenders turn Veterans down because they tell them that VA has minimum credit scores of 640
- Veterans with a valid COE can qualify for VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores
- This is not the case
- The United States Department of Veteran Affairs, VA, has one of the most lenient mortgage guidelines out of all mortgage programs in the Country
- VA realizes that Veterans often do not have the best of credit, especially due to transfers that can happen several times per calendar year as well as deployment
During wartime, it is often difficult to worry about paying their minimum monthly debts overseas and injuries are often common while serving in the United States Military.
About The Department Of Veterans Affairs
The United States Department Of Veterans Affairs is not a mortgage lender and does not originate, fund, or service VA Loans. The Veterans Administration insures residential home loans that private mortgage lenders make to United States Veterans who meet the VA Guidelines In the event, if the Veteran borrower were to default on his or her VA Loan, the Veterans Administration will insure that mortgage lender against the defaulted and/or foreclosed VA Loan This VA guaranty makes it extremely desirable for private lenders to fund VA Loans due to little to no risk due to the insurance and guarantee by the federal government against losses on VA Loans.
How Much Do I Need To Qualify For VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores
One of the greatest benefits our government gives our Veterans for serving our country and has received an honorable discharge is a Certificate of Eligibility to qualify for VA Loans.
Here are the benefits of VA Loans:
- No down payment required for VA Loans
- There is a VA Funding Fee
- The VA Funding Fee can be rolled into the VA Loan
- There is no need for money out of pocket by the Veteran for the down payment
- VA Loan Limits for no money down with no maximum loan limit
- However, the VA does not have a maximum loan limit
- There are closing costs on all home purchases and refinances
- However, on purchases, VA allows the home seller to give the home buyer up to a 4.0% sellers concession towards the home buyer’s closing costs
- If the veteran home buyer is short on closing costs or if the home seller is not willing to give a sellers concession, the Veteran can get a lender’s credit to cover part or all of the closing costs
- There is no mortgage insurance premium on VA Loans
Bottom line is that a Veteran with a COE does not need a penny to purchase a home with a VA Loan.
VA Credit Requirements To Qualify For VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores
Qualifying for VA Loans with 580 Credit Scores is no problem at all. VA credit requirements are extremely lenient. However, Mortgage Lenders are not expected to abide by the minimum VA Credit Guidelines. Lenders do have to meet the minimum VA Lending Guidelines. However, they can set higher standards of their own which are called Lender Overlays. Most Mortgage Lenders will set a minimum credit score requirement of at least a 620 Credit Score or higher. There are lenders like Gustan Cho Associates that will approve Veterans for VA Loans with 580 credit scores and sometimes lower.
VA Has No Minimum Credit Score Requirements
Here are VA Credit Requirements:
- VA does not have a mandatory minimum credit score requirement
- VA lets the lender set the minimum credit score requirement
- Most lenders who are approved with the VA to originate and close on VA Loans have Lender Overlays on Credit Scores on VA Loans
- Lender Overlays are the individual lender’s requirement which is above and beyond of those of the Department of Veteran Affairs
- Most lenders will set lender overlays on credit scores at 620 to 640
- Gustan Cho Associates has no lender overlays on VA Loans
- VA does not have a maximum debt to income ratio requirement
I recently got an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting Approval Findings on a borrower with a 552 credit score and a 58% debt to income ratio.
Qualifying For VA Home Loans After Bankruptcy And Housing Event
There are waiting periods after bankruptcy and/or housing event to qualify for VA Home Loans:
- 2 year waiting period to qualify for a VA mortgage loan after a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
2 year waiting period after housing event:
- Date of the prior short sale date
- Recorded dates of foreclosure and/or deed in lieu of foreclosure
If you have deferred student loans that are deferred for at least 12 or more months, it will be exempt from debt to income ratio calculations. Again, VA Loans are one of the easiest mortgage loan programs to qualify for. However, not all can qualify for VA Loans. Only the men and women who have served in the United States Armed Services with a valid Certificate of Eligibility can qualify for this great loan program.
Lender That Specializes In VA Loans With 580 Credit Scores With No VA Lender Overlays
I get countless calls by Veterans who shop for VA Loans and are told that they qualify for FHA Loans but not VA Loans with 580 Credit Scores. Again, this is not the requirement of the Veterans Administration BUT because the lender went to have lender overlays. There is no reason why a Veteran who can qualify for an FHA loan cannot qualify for a VA Loan:
- Veteran Borrowers were told NO on a VA Loan BUT Yes on an FHA Loan, please contact us at Gustan Cho Associates
- As long as borrowers can get an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting System and can clear the conditions on the AUS, we will close on VA Loan with no lender overlays
- We have a national reputation on closing VA Loans in 21 days from the date e-Disclosures are signed on VA Loans
Veteran Borrowers need to consult with a national VA direct mortgage lender that specializes in VA Loans with no lender overlays, contact us at Gustan Cho Associates at the contact information below:
Cell: 262-716-8151 Please Text For Faster Response With Contact Information Including Email Address. Or email us at [email protected]
Available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays