Mortgage Lender Overlays On FHA And VA Loans
This BLOG On Mortgage Lender Overlays On FHA And VA Loans Was UPDATED On January 8th, 2019
Mortgage Lender Overlays are mortgage lending guidelines that are above and beyond those mandated by mortgage loan programs.
There are two types of mortgage lending guidelines:
- Mortgage Loan Program Guidelines
- Mortgage Lender Overlays
All banks and mortgage companies need to follow loan program guidelines. However, every bank and/or lender can have their own overlays. In this article, we will cover and discuss common Mortgage Lender Overlays On FHA And VA Loans imposed by lenders.
Government And Conventional Mortgage Programs
Here are the mortgage loan programs:
- FHA Loans
- VA Loans
- USDA Loans
- Fannie Mae
- Freddie Mac
The above mortgage loan programs have their own minimum mortgage guidelines. However, lenders can have mortgage guidelines that are above and beyond those of the minimum loan program guidelines called overlays.
Mandatory guidelines include the following:
- Minimum credit scores
Waiting periods after the following:
- Short sales
- Deed In Lieu Of Foreclosure
Debt to income ratio caps:
- Down payment requirements
- Collection account guidelines
- Judgment guidelines
- Other mortgage loan guidelines
Approve/Eligible Per AUS Versus Mortgage Overlays
Just because mortgage borrowers get a Fannie Mae Automated Underwriting System approval does not mean a particular lender will approve a mortgage loan application.
- Many lenders will implement their own set of additional mortgage underwriting standards that will surpass the bare minimum FHA and Fannie Mae Guidelines
- This is called lender overlays
- For example, a borrower can have an approved/eligible per DU Findings which has been automated underwritten by Fannie Mae’s Automated Underwriting System
- Say that the mortgage loan applicant has a mid-FICO score of 620 and a debt to income ratio of 53%
- The particular mortgage company might have mortgage lender overlays where the borrower might not qualify because of their overlays
- That lender can be lender overlays on credit scores and can require a higher score like a 640 credit score
They might cap their debt to income ratios to 45% on credit scores under 680 FICO even though HUD’s Credit Score Guidelines are 580.
Typical Mortgage Lender Overlays
Before reading any further on overlays, there are mortgage companies with no Mortgage Lender Overlays On FHA And VA Loans that I will cover in a later paragraph.
- Gustan Cho Associates has no Mortgage Lender Overlays On FHA And VA Loans
- We are a direct lender licensed in multiple states with zero Mortgage Lender Overlays on FHA and VA loans as well as USDA and Conventional Loans
However, I will cover overlays and what to do in the event if you choose a mortgage banker with lender overlays.
Typical Lender Overlays By Lenders Versus Mortgage Lender Overlays On FHA And VA Loans
Typical Mortgage Lender Overlays On FHA And VA Loans are the following:
- Credit Scores On FHA Loans: Fannie Mae Automated Underwriting System might approve FHA Borrowers with a 580 credit score on an FHA Loan with 3.5% down payment
- However, the mortgage company may require a minimum of 640 FICO even though FHA Guidelines on Credit Scores only requires a 580 credit score
- Debt to Income Ratios: Fannie Mae Automated Underwriting System might approve a mortgage loan applicant with a 55% back end debt to income ratio
- However, a mortgage company may have their own mortgage lender overlays where they cap the debt to income ratios at 45% even though FHA Guidelines on DTI is capped at 46.9% front end and 56.9% back end DTI to get an approve/eligible per AUS
- Verification of rent: Fannie Mae Automated Underwriting System might approve a mortgage borrower per DU Findings without conditioning verification of rent
- However, the mortgage company might have its own mortgage lender overlays requiring verification of rent
Paying off past charge offs and collection accounts: FHA and VA guidelines do not require old collection accounts to be paid off to qualify for VA and/or FHA Loans.
Individual Lender Overlays Versus Agency Guidelines
However, the lender might have their own overlays requiring that borrowers pay off old collection accounts with balances even though the Automated Underwriting System does not require borrowers to.
- Credit tradelines: Fannie Mae Automated Underwriting System might approve per DU Findings without any credit tradelines
- However, lenders might have their own internal overlays requiring 3 or more credit tradelines seasoned for 12 to 24 months
- Some overlays require 24 months of seasoning of credit tradelines with no late payments as part of their overlays
- VA Loans do not require any minimum credit score requirements
- However, to get an approve/eligible per AUS FINDINGS, most veteran borrowers will need a 580 credit score
VA does not have any debt to income ratio requirements.
Lenders Overlays During And After Chapter 13 Bankruptcy
Most lenders have overlays on FHA and VA Loans during and after Chapter 13 Bankruptcy.
- However, under both FHA and VA guidelines, borrowers can qualify for FHA and VA Loans one year into their Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Repayment Plan with Trustee Approval
- There is no waiting period to qualify for FHA and VA Loans after Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharged date.
Gustan Cho Associates has no mortgage lender overlays on FHA and VA Loans during and after a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharged date.
Qualifying With A Lender With No Mortgage Lender Overlays On FHA And VA Loans
Borrowers with higher debt to income ratios or less than perfect credit that need to qualify for a mortgage loan with a lender with no overlays, please contact us at Gustan Cho Associates at 262-716-8151 or text us for faster response. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays. The good news is that we help our borrowers get loan approval per DU Findings with no overlays. Borrowers with credit scores under 600 FICO and get an approved/ eligible and can meet the conditions stated on AUS, they will close on their FHA or VA Loans.