What Are High Balance Mortgage Loans And FHA Jumbo Loans
This BLOG On High Balance Mortgage Loans Was Written By Gustan Cho NMLS 873293
High Balance Mortgage Loans are government and conventional loans that has higher loan limits than the standard $275,655 FHA Loan Limits and the standard conforming $424,100 maximum Conventional and VA Loan Limits.
- There are areas in the country that is more expensive than others.
- Those areas, like many counties in California is called high cost areas.
- A 2,000 square feet home on a quarter acre in San Francisco, California will cost much more than the same type of home in Springfield, Illinois.
- Both FHA, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac sets maximum mortgage loan limits each year for every county of every state in the U.S.
- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac recently increased Conventional Loan Limits to $424,100 earlier this year.
- VA Loan Limits increased as well to $424,100. HUD, the parent of FHA, increased FHA Loan Limits to $275,665.
- Any mortgage loan limits that exceed these loan limits is called High Balance Mortgage Loans or FHA Jumbo Loans and VA Jumbo Loans.
- Other terms used to referred High Balance Mortgage Loans are super conforming loans.
- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac did not raise Conventional Mortgage Loan Limits from 1980 until 2011.
- Back in 1990, Fannie and Freddie decreased Conventional Loan Limits by $150.
- Any Conventional Loans that is higher than the general conforming limit is considered Jumbo Mortgages. Jumbo Lenders have much stricter mortgage lending guidelines.
- Mortgage Interest Rates on Jumbo Loans are higher than conventional and government loans.
- Many Jumbo Mortgage Lenders went out of business after the 2008 Real Estate And Credit Collapse.
- Sub-Prime Mortgages and Bank Statement Mortgage Loans totally disappeared until the recent introduction by lenders this year.
- Mortgage Regulators such as the CFPB realized the need of FHA Jumbo Loans, VA Jumbo Loans, and Conventional High Balance Mortgage Loans
Fannie Mae And Freddie Mac High Balance Mortgage Loans
High Balance Mortgage Loans was implemented on Conventional Loans by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac starting in 2008.
- In order to qualify for High Balance Mortgage Loans, it was not the borrower but the area needed to be located in a high cost area.
- If the property is not located in a high cost county, then the mortgage borrower does not qualify for high balance mortgage loans.
- The highest loan limit on a single family home with a high balance mortgage loans is capped at $729,750.
- Hawaii, Alaska, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Guam, the loan limit on a single family home is capped at $1,094,625.
- High Balance Mortgage Loan Limits can change.
FHA Jumbo Loans
FHA Jumbo Loans are very popular, especially in the state of California. Many counties in California is classified as High Cost Areas so FHA Loan Limits on single family homes is capped at $636,150. HUD determines what the maximum loan limits of every county in the U.S. is and will designate certain counties as high cost counties. Not all states have high cost areas. There are states like the state of Iowa where there are no high cost areas. Illinois has three different loan limits as does dozens of other states.
VA Jumbo Loans
Just like FHA Jumbo Loans, the Department of Veteran Affairs offers VA Jumbo Loans.
- One great benefit with VA Loans is that VA Lenders can lend higher than the maximum VA Loan Limit as long as the Veteran Borrower puts down 25% of any loan amount that surpasses the VA Loan Limit.
- For example, if the VA Loan Limit is $424,100, the veteran home buyer can purchase a $524,100 home with their VA Loan.
- 100% financing on the $424,100 plus the VA Lender will finance the additional $100,000 above the VA Loan Limit if the Veteran Borrowers puts down 25% of the $100,000 or $25,000. T
- his is for home is non-high cost areas. With VA Jumbo Loans, there is 100% financing on high cost areas.
Home Buyers who have any questions on high balance mortgage loans, please contact us at 1-800-900-8569 or email us at email@example.com. We are available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays.