How Does Credit Scores And Mortgage Rates On Loan Programs
This BLOG On How Does Credit Scores And Mortgage Rates On Loan Programs Was UPDATED On September 18th, 2017
Impact Of Credit Scores And Mortgage Rates:
Credit Scores And Mortgage Rates go side by side.
- The most important factor in any mortgage loan application process is one’s credit scores.
- Although income, credit, credit history, debts, assets, and liabilities are all important in the mortgage loan application process, the single most important factor in a mortgage loan application process is a borrower’s credit scores next to qualified income.
Credit Scores And Mortgage Rates: Credit Scores Determines Whether You Qualify For A Certain Loan Program
Credit scores is the deciding factor in what credit tier a borrower qualifies for. For example, to qualify for a FHA loan, you need a minimum credit score of 500 FICO.
- For those borrowers with credit scores between 500 FICO and 579 FICO, they need a minimum 10% down payment in order to qualify for a FHA mortgage loan.
- Home Buyers who only want to put down 3.5% down payment on a home purchase, they need a credit score of 580 FICO or higher.
- Borrowers with credit scores of 579 FICO would not qualify for a 3.5% down payment mortgage loan and would only qualify for a 10% down payment FHA loan.
- That 1 point difference would require borrowers for the higher down payment.
What Are Minimum Credit Scores For Conventional Loan?
Credit scores are critical for those who want to qualify for conventional mortgage loans.
- Most mortgage lenders have minimum credit scores requirement for conventional mortgage loan programs.
- Minimum credit scores required for most conventional mortgage loan programs for most mortgage lenders are 640 FICO.
- A 640 FICO credit score is considered poor for conventional mortgage loans and most conventional mortgage loan borrowers with credit scores of 640 FICO will probably get less than favorable mortgage rates.
Credit Scores And Mortgage Rates And Loan Programs
To qualify for a conventional mortgage loan requiring a 5% down payment, most mortgage lenders require credit scores of 640 FICO.
- To qualify for conventional mortgage loans requiring a minimum 3% down payment, most mortgage lenders require credit scores of 680 FICO or higher.
- To qualify for jumbo loans, most portfolio jumbo mortgage lenders require credit scores of 720 FICO or higher, while other jumbo lenders require credit scores of 740 FICO or higher.
- Condotel mortgage lenders require minimum credit scores of at least 680 FICO.
FHA Mortgage Lender’s Overlays With Credit Scores And Mortgage Rates
The minimum credit score required for a FHA mortgage loan is 500 FICO.
- However, most FHA mortgage lenders have their own overlays.
- A mortgage lender’s overlay is the mortgage lender’s own lending criteria surpassing the minimum FHA guidelines.
- Just because you got an automated approval by Fannie Mae’s Automated Underwriting System does not mean that you are guaranteed a mortgage loan.
- The mortgage lender has their own lending criteria which is above and beyond Fannie Mae’s guidelines.
- For example, many FHA mortgage lender has their own FHA lending overlays when it comes to minimum credit scores.
- Although the minimum credit scores FHA requires is 500 FICO, there are many FHA mortgage lenders who set they credit scores overlays at a 640 FICO minimum.
Need To Monitor Credit Scores
Lower credit scores mean higher cost for mortgages, insurance, credit cards, and installment loans.
- Borrowers need to monitor your credit report regularly and see that there are no errors on their credit report.
- One late payment on a monthly revolving or installment account can drop credit scores by 80 points or more.
Home Loan With Low Credit Scores
As long as you can provide proof of income, you can get a mortgage loan as long as your credit scores are above 500 FICO and you get an automated approval by Fannie Mae’s Automated Underwriting System or via a manual underwrite.
I specialize in helping folks with prior bad credit or lower credit scores and work with dozens of wholesale mortgage lenders who do not have overlays. Home buyers have lower credit scores or have had prior credit problems, please contact me at 262-716-8151 or visit me at www.gustancho.com . I am confident I will be able to get you get a residential mortgage loan approval.