How To Qualify For Veteran Administration Loans With Bad Credit
This Aricle On How To Qualify For Veteran Administration Loans With Bad Credit
- Homebuyers can qualify for VA Loans with bad credit
- There are no credit score requirements on VA Loans
- There is no debt to income ratio requirements
- Outstanding collections and charged-off accounts do not have to be paid off
- Gustan Cho Associates has no overlays on VA Mortgages
- Homebuyers can qualify for VA Loans while in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Repayment plan with Trustee Approval
- There is no waiting period after Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharged date to qualify for VA Mortgages
- The waiting period after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and/or housing event (foreclosure, deed in lieu of foreclosure, short sale) is two years
In this article, we will discuss and cover How To Qualify For Veteran Administration Loans With Bad Credit.
How Does VA Home Loan Process Work
VA Loans is hands down the best mortgage program in the United States. 100% financing with no down payment, no mortgage insurance premium, and lower than conventional mortgage rates makes VA Loans the owner-occupant residential home loan of choice. However, only veterans with a certificate of eligibility (COE) are eligible for VA Loans;
- Veteran Administration Loans are originated and funded by private mortgage lenders and banks
- The United States Department of Veterans Affairs does not originate, process, underwrite, fund, service VA Home Loans
- The Department of Veteran Affairs guarantees each VA Loan originated and funded by VA approved private mortgage lenders. VA will insure VA Loans that go into default and losses to lenders as long as lenders follow VA lending guidelines
Members of the United States Armed Forces and eligible spouses of veterans may qualify for Veteran Administration Loans.
Eligibility Requirements Of Veteran Administration Loans
To qualify for Veteran Administration Loans, veterans need to meet certain requirements on how long the veteran served in the military and the type of military he or she has served. The United States Department of Veterans Affairs is the entity that determines the requirements required and who is eligible for a VA loan.
Here are the basic eligibility requirements for VA Loans.
- Veterans who had at least two years of continuous service on active duty service and honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Military
- Veterans who had six years of continuous service in the Selected Reserves and/or National Guard Service with no less than an honorable discharge
- Veterans with 90 days active-duty wartime service and no less than an honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Military
United States Veterans with at least a 181 days of continuous active duty during peace times which the dates are below with no less than an honorable discharge:
- July 26, 1947 – June 26,- 1950
- February 1, 1955 – August 4,- 1964
- May 8, 1975- August 1, 1990
A person who is an unmarried surviving spouse of a United States Veteran who has died when the veteran was on active duty and/or as a consequence of military service associated illnesses and/or injuries.
Obtaining Certificate of Eligibility On Veteran Administration Loans
One of the key things that are required to qualify for Veteran Administration Loans is a certificate of eligibility or COE.
- The certificate of eligibility can be retrieved by visiting the Department of Veterans Affairs Website or by calling the Department of Veterans Affairs at 888-768-2132
Veterans can also visit a regional VA Office Centers that is closest to them.
Veteran Administration Loans: Loan to Value (LTV) Ratio And Downpayment Requirements
If you are a veteran, you can qualify for a no money down payment, 100% financing VA Loan.
- There are funding fees on all VA Loans
- Funding fees can be rolled into the balance of the VA Loan
- There are no reserve requirements
Closing costs can be paid through a seller’s concession or a lenders credit so no closing costs will be required with VA Loans.
What are VA Loan Amount Limits
One great feature about VA Loans is that there are no maximum loan limits that a veteran may be eligible to borrow.
- There are high balance VA Loans where if the property is located in high-cost areas, such as many parts in California
- The VA does not have a maximum loan limit on VA mortgages
- Most VA mortgage lenders do not want to lend a VA loan borrower no more than $510,400 due to their lender overlays
- Most VA loan limits in standard areas are capped at a certain loan amount due to lender overlays
The VA has no maximum loan limits on VA loans. Gustan Cho Associates has zero lender overlays on VA loans. Gustan Cho Associates has no maximum loan limits on VA mortgages.
Veterans can purchase higher-priced homes. VA will guarantee 100% up to any loan amount.
- Veterans can purchase higher homes and we can lend above the $510,400 VA Loan Limit prior to 2020
- However, veterans needed to put 25% down payment on any loan limit above the $510,400
- For example, let’s say home buyer wants to purchase a $653,100 home
- VA will finance 100% up to the $510,400 but the buyer will need to put 25% of the difference of $653,100 minus the $510,400
However, this is no longer the case since the VA has no maximum loan limit on VA loans.
Credit Score and Occupancy Requirements
VA does not have a minimum credit score requirement nor debt to income ratio caps.
- Most VA lenders will require a 620 to 640 credit score
- The minimum credit score requirements are set by individual lenders and not the Department of Veterans Administration
- Gustan Cho Associates Mortgage Group has no overlays on VA Home Loans
- Our team recently closed on a VA Loan recently with 589 credit score and 60% debt to income ratios
- As long as borrowers can get an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting System, that is all we go by with no additional overlays
- Most VA mortgage lenders want to see a credit score of 620 FICO or higher
- All VA Loans are for owner-occupied properties and not for second homes or investment home financing
To qualify for VA Home Loans with a national direct lender with no mortgage overlays, contact us at Gustan Cho Associates Mortgage Group at 800-900-8569 or text us for a faster response. Or email us at email@example.com. The team at Gustan Cho Associates are available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays to take your mortgage questions.
July 18, 2020 - 5 min read