What If I Get A Refer Eligible Per Automated Underwriting System
What Does Refer Eligible Per Automated Underwriting System Mean?
This BLOG On What If I Get A Refer Eligible Per Automated Underwriting System Was UPDATED On September 4th, 2018
Refer Eligible Per Automated Underwriting System means that the Automated Underwriting System cannot render an approve eligible per automated findings. If borrower gets a findings of refer eligible per automated underwriting system they are eligible for a manual underwrite.
Manual Underwriting is when further analysis is required by a mortgage underwriter
- Most banks and/or mortgage companies will not approve borrowers who has a refer eligible per automated underwriting system findings
- Refer eligible per automated underwriting system mortgage loan file can be done through manual underwriting
- There are manual underwriting guidelines
- Not all lenders will do manual underwriting
- Underwriters look for compensating factors on manual underwrites
- Compensating Factors are positive factors that borrowers have in their favor
- Examples of compensating factor are the following:
- low payment shock
- payment shock is how underwriters determine the factor of what they are paying for rent currently to what the new housing payment will be when they close on their home purchase
- Other examples of compensating factors a borrower can have is larger down payment
- Larger down payment on home purchase shows that the home buyer has skin in the game and is less risk to the mortgage lender in the event if the lender forecloses on the home
- One months reserves is required on all manual underwriting
Reserves are one month P.I.T.I.
- P.I.T.I. stands for principal, interest, taxes, and insurance
- Mortgage lenders like to see at least three months of reserves from home buyers which is a great compensating factors
- Reserves does not have to be cash
- Asset accounts are reserves such as
- IRA accounts
- 401k Accounts
- Securities Accounts
- Other type of liquid investment accounts can go towards reserves
Refer Eligible Per Automated Underwriting System Versus Approve Eligible Per AUS
As long as borrowers meet the minimum federal mortgage guidelines, borrowers should get an approve eligible per Automated Underwriting System.
- Let’s take a case scenario on a FHA Loan
- Borrower should get an approve eligible but gets a refer eligible per Automated Underwriting System so the file needs to be manual underwriting
- Minimum FHA mortgage lending guidelines for a borrower is that they need a 580 credit score to qualify for a 3.5% down payment FHA home purchase mortgage loan
- The maximum debt to income ratios required on borrowers with under 620 credit scores are 43% debt to income ratios
- FHA allows for 100% gifted funds for down payment on home purchase
- FHA does not require minimum amount of active credit trade lines
- However, aged credit trade lines are viewed favorably and considered compensating factors
- Verification of rent is required in most cases where the mortgage loan borrower has credit scores of under 600 credit scores or AUS conditions it
- By all means, a FHA mortgage loan applicant who meets all of these requirements should get an approve eligible per automated findings
- Not always
- There are many cases where mortgage loan applicants who meet all federal minimum mortgage lending guidelines will not get an approve eligible
- Borrowers can get a refer eligible per Automated Underwriting System because the automated system considers the borrower as having multiple layers of risk
Is It Possible To Get A Refer Eligible Per AUS Converted To An Approve Eligible?
The answer to this question is yes. It is done all the time.
- Experienced mortgage loan originators will see if they get a refer eligible per automated findings to see if they can somehow reconfigure where they can get an approve eligible per automated findings
- The loan officer needs to first carefully review the automated findings
- Need to see why they got a refer eligible and not an approve eligible
- Many times, with mortgage loan applicants who just barely meet the federal minimum mortgage lending guidelines, the automated findings does not like gifted funds for down payment on home purchase
- Just removing the gift funds and using the borrower’s own funds can convert the refer eligible to an approve eligible
- Other factors where a refer eligible can be converted to an approve eligible is by adding assets to the borrower’s application
- The automated system considers reserves as great compensating factors and on cases where borrower barely meets the mandatory minimum guidelines
- Having more assets can change the refer eligible finding to an approve eligible findings
What If Refer Eligible Findings Cannot Be Changed To Approve Eligible Findings
There are cases where there is no way of changing a refer eligible per Automated Underwriting System to an approve eligible per Automated Underwriting System.
- Perfect example is on a borrower who recently got a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharged
- Under FHA guidelines, there is no mandatory waiting period for borrower to qualify for a FHA Loan after a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharged date
- Unfortunately, the Automated Underwriting System will not get an approve eligible per AUS on mortgage loan applications with a borrower who recently had a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy until 2 years has passed from the discharged date of the Chapter 13 Bankruptcy
- These folks will get a Refer Eligible Per Automated Underwriting System and these files can be done by direct lenders like myself who handles manual underwriting
- Not all lenders handle manual underwriting
- Need to make sure that a mortgage lender can handle manual underwriting for those with a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharge
- There are other cases where the automated system will not budge on the refer eligible findings
- The only way to get a home loan approved is through manual underwriting is get a refer eligible per automated underwriting system and not refer/caution
Home Buyers who need to qualify for mortgage with direct lender with no mortgage overlays can contact us at The Gustan Cho Team at Loan Cabin Inc. at 262-716-8151 or email us at email@example.com. We have no overlays on FHA, VA, USDA, and Conventional Loans. We are available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays.