FHA Manual Underwriting Mortgage Guidelines And Requirements
This Article Is About FHA Manual Underwriting Mortgage Guidelines And Requirements:
FHA Manual Underwriting Mortgage Lending Guidelines And Definition Of Compensating Factors Explained:
FHA and VA loans are the only two home mortgage programs that allow manual underwrite. Manual underwriting is when the automated underwriting system (AUS) cannot render an approve/eligible and renders a refer/eligible. Refer/eligible findings is when the automated underwriting system (AUS) finds the borrower eligible but cannot determine a solid automated approval. Refer/eligible means the file is referred to a human mortgage underwriter for a full in-depth manual underwrite
There are general manual underwriting guidelines on both FHA and VA loans. FHA and VA manual underwriting guidelines are similar with regards to credit and debt to income ratio guidelines. However, there is no dead set in stone requirements with FHA Manual Underwriting Mortgage Guidelines. Mortgage underwriters have a great deal of discretion on manual underwriting files.
Manual Underwriting is when a mortgage loan application cannot get an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting System.
Automated Underwriting System Referring File To Manual Underwriting
FHA and VA loans are the only two mortgage programs that allow manual underwriting. Conventional loans with refer/eligible AUS findings cannot be downgraded to a manual underwrite. A mortgage loan applicant can get their file downgraded to an FHA and/or VA manual underwrite if the Automated Underwriting System cannot get an approve/eligible but yields a referred/eligible per Automated Findings.
Referred means that the automated system cannot issue an automated approval with the information. Refer/eligible findings are when the data entered in the automated underwriting system cannot render an approve/eligible AUS approval. Eligible means that the mortgage loan application is eligible for a mortgage loan approval. Refer means that the file needs to be downgraded to a manual underwrite and referred to a human mortgage underwriter.
In this article, we will cover and discuss FHA Manual Underwriting Mortgage Guidelines.
What Does Manual Underwrite Mean
Manual Underwriting means that the mortgage file cannot be approved by the automated underwriting system (AUS). However, the file can be assigned to a human mortgage underwriter and has to be manually underwritten:
Not all lenders do manual underwriting. However, Gustan Cho Associates are experts in doing manual underwriting.
Timely payments in the past 24 months are key on all manual underwrites. The mortgage underwriter will thoroughly review the whole mortgage loan application. The underwriter will look for derogatory credit information and what the borrower has done to rebuild and re-establish credit after the period of bad credit, bankruptcy, and/or a housing event if applicable.
They will analyze the credit risk surround derogatory credit items. The mortgage underwriter will look for compensating factors which are positive factors.
List Of Compensating Factors
Examples of compensating factors are:
- Low payment shock through verification of rent
- Longevity in the job, larger down payment
- Additional income not used as qualified income
- Part-time income borrower has for at least a year but not used as qualified income
- Other positive factors that show the strength of the mortgage loan borrower
- Lenders view lower credit score borrower’s as higher risk
Under 620 credit scores, HUD manual underwriting mortgage guidelines state that the mortgage underwriter has discretion in assessing the risk of the borrower when deriving a decision on whether to issue a mortgage loan approval or not.
Requirements With 2020 FHA Manual Underwriting Mortgage Guidelines
There are no specific requirements with the 2020 FHA Manual Underwriting Mortgage Guidelines. Many deciding factors rely on mortgage underwriter discretion.
One of the most important factors most mortgage underwriters require is rental verification. Compensating Factors on payment shock is when less than 5% payment shock or $100 increase from the rental expense to new housing payment, whichever is less. Rental verification is only valid if the renter can provide 12 month’s canceled checks where he or she has paid their rental payments with a bank check.
In lieu of 12 months of canceled rental payment checks, the renter can also provide 12 month’s bank statements if they have paid them online. Cash rental payment does not count as verification of rent. A paid receipt from the landlord is not valid unless the renter has proof of payment via canceled checks and/or bank statements. If the renter has leased their apartment or home from a registered property management company, then a verification of rent form provided by the lender to the property management company can be used in lieu of canceled checks and/or bank statements.
All rental payments in the past 12 months need to have been on time and no 30 day late payments on their monthly rents are allowed.
FHA Manual Underwriting Guidelines On Credit Scores And DTI
The lowest credit score allowed to qualify for a 3.5% down payment home purchase FHA Loan is 580 credit scores. Per HUD Agency Mortgage Guidelines, borrowers with under 580 FICO and down to a 500 credit score can qualify for an FHA loan but need a 10% versus a 3.5% down payment:
- Mortgage lenders like myself have no FHA mortgage lender overlays
- Manual underwriting mortgage loans with credit scores as low as 580 credit scores for a 3.5% down payment home purchase FHA loan
- Manual underwriting with under a 580 credit score and down to a 500 FICO can be done but the borrower needs a 10% down payment if they have under 580 FICO per HUD Agency Mortgage Guidelines
However, most lenders do have overlays on credit scores with manual underwriting loans where they want a minimum credit score of at least 640 credit scores.
HUD Guidelines On Debt To Income Ratio On Manual Underwriting
Most mortgage lenders normally prefer borrower’s debt to income ratios on manual underwrites at 43% DTI:
- FHA Manual Underwriting Mortgage Guidelines does have a tier on debt to income caps depending on borrower’s credit scores
- Compensating Factors will increase debt to income ratio cap requirements
- I have done and closed on manual underwriting mortgage loan files with debt to income ratios up to 50% DTI
- However, manual underwriters will look for strong compensating factors when underwriting a manual underwrite
Borrowers who are looking for an FHA mortgage lender with no Lender Overlays specializing in manual underwriting, please contact us at Gustan Cho Associates at 262-716-8151 or text for a faster response. Or email us at [email protected] The team at Gustan Cho Associates is available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays to take calls and answer any questions.
2021 Update On HUD Manual Underwriting Guidelines
Manual Underwrites are becoming very popular.
There are instances where an approve/eligible per AUS FINDINGS loan applicant will get downgraded to a manual underwrite such in cases where there are credit disputes. All manual underwriting requires verification of rent. Gustan Cho Associates will exempt verification of rent if the borrower is living rent-free with family in order to save money for the down payment and closing costs on a home purchase.
Borrowers with higher debt to income ratios need compensating factors. The maximum debt to income ratio caps on manual underwrites on FHA loans is 40% front end and 50% back end debt to income ratios. The above bullet points below apply to all manually underwritten FHA Loans
HUD Mortgagee Letter 2014-02 RESERVES REQUIRED on all manually underwritten loans.
- 1-month reserves are required on all 1-2 unit properties on manually underwritten FHA Loans
- 3 months reserves are required on all 3-4 unit properties with manually underwritten FHA Loans
Automated Approved FHA Loans debt to income ratios are 46.9% DTI front end and 56.9% DTI back end on borrowers with credit scores 620 and higher. For borrowers with credit scores under 620, maximum DTI requirements are capped at 43% DTI for an automated underwriting system approval.
HUD Manual Underwriting Guidelines
Below is the manually underwritten debt to income ratio requirements PER 2020 HUD GUIDELINES ON MANUAL UNDERWRITING:
- For borrowers with credit scores under 580 or borrowers who need to be underwritten with non-traditional credit, the maximum debt to income ratio required is 31% front end and 43% DTI back end
- For borrowers with at least a 580+ credit score with NO compensating factors, the maximum front end debt to income ratio is 31% DTI and 43% DTI back end
- For borrowers with at least a 580 credit score and ONE compensating factor, the maximum front end debt to income ratio is 37% DTI and the maximum back end debt to income ratio is 47% DTI
- Borrowers with at least a 580+ credit score with TWO compensating factors, the maximum front debt to income ratio is 40% DTI and maximum back end DTI is 50% DTI
For borrowers with at least a 580+ FICO credit score with NO discretionary debt, the maximum front-end debt to income ratio is capped at 40% DTI and the maximum back-end is capped at 40% DTI.
HUD Guidelines On Compensating Factors
Acceptable Compensating Factors per HUD GUIDELINES are limited to the following:
- 3 months of reserves for 1-2 unit properties
- 6 months reserves for 3-4 unit properties
- The new total monthly mortgage payment is not more than $100 and/or 5% higher than the previous total monthly housing payment, whichever is less
- There is documented 12 monthly housing payment history with no more than one late payment in the past 12 months
- Cash-out refinance transactions cannot have any late payments in the past 12 months
- Residual income. (See HUD mortgagee letter 2014-02 for details)
- Verified and documented significant additional income not considered effective income
All manual underwriting requires timely payments in the past 12 months. Borrowers who need a direct lender with no overlays on FHA Loans and can do manual underwriting on FHA and VA Loans, please contact us at Gustan Cho Associates at 262-716-8151 or text us for a faster response. Or email us at [email protected]