This BlOG On VA Loans With High Debt To Income Ratio Mortgage Guidelines Was PUBLISHED On August 29th, 2020
I get many inquiries by Veterans who have an active Certificate of Eligibility, commonly referred to as COE, who ask me can VA mortgage borrowers qualify for VA Loans With High Debt To Income Ratio.
- The answer to can Veteran borrowers qualify for VA Loans with high debt to income ratio is YES
- VA Loans is one of the easiest mortgage loan programs out there
- Unfortunately, not everyone can qualify for VA Loans
- Only Veterans who have served in the United States Military who had an honorably discharged and have a Certificate of Eligibility or COE are eligible for VA Loans
- VA Loans is one of the greatest benefits the United States government rewards our Veterans for serving our country
In this article, we will cover and discuss VA Loans With High Debt To Income Ratio Mortgage Guidelines.
VA Mortgage Requirements
Here are the basic VA Loan Requirements:
- VA Loans is only available to members of the United States Armed Services who have served in the U.S. Military and have an honorable discharge with a valid Certificate of Eligibility
- The United States Department of Veterans Affairs or VA is not a mortgage lender
- The VA guarantees VA Loans that are originated and funded by private mortgage lenders and banks who are approved by the Department of Veteran Affairs
- VA Loan they fund follow VA Mortgage Lending Guidelines
VA will guarantee lenders against default and/or foreclosure of the VA Loan any monies lost by the VA Lender.
The VA Credit Score Mortgage Guidelines
VA does not have a minimum credit score requirement:
- Minimum VA Credit Score Requirements is set by the Lender
- VA does not have a maximum debt to income ratio requirement
- Maximum VA debt to income ratio requirements is set by the lender
- VA does require VA Residual Income Requirement on borrowers
- The Automated Underwriting System will factor the VA Residual Income of the VA borrower when rendering the automated approval per AUS FINDINGS
- If Borrower has sufficient VA Residual Income, VA can render an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting System on a VA borrower with under 620 Credit Scores
- There is no debt to income ratio requirements on VA
Debt to income ratio of up to 65% DTI or even higher is often approved.
Why Do Lenders Steer Borrowers Who Need VA Loans With High Debt To Income Ratio To FHA Loans?
There are many instances where mortgage lenders will steer VA mortgage borrowers who need VA Loans With High Debt To Income Ratio to an FHA loan instead of a VA Loan.
- Why is this the case if VA Loans are easier to qualify than FHA Loans?
- The main reason is that most lenders will have VA Lender Overlays on VA Loans and will not have FHA Lender Overlays
Again, if you are a VA borrower and are told that you do not qualify for a VA Loan but do qualify for an FHA Loan, please contact me at 262-716-8151 or text us for a faster response. Or email us at email@example.com. We have no lender overlays on VA Loans.
Lender Overlays On FHA Versus VA Loans
Here are typical VA Lender Overlays by mortgage lenders where they will not approve a VA Loan but will approve an FHA Loan:
- The lender may accept an FHA Loan with a 580 Credit Score but may have VA Lender Overlays on credit scores for 620
- The lender may allow debt to income ratio of up to 56.9% DTI on FHA Loans but may cap debt to income ratio at 41% on debt to income ratio on VA Loans
- The lender may require to pay off outstanding collection accounts and charge off accounts on VA Loans but not on FHA Loans
- Remember that VA does not require a minimum credit score requirement
- Credit score requirements are set by the mortgage lender and that is a VA mortgage lender overlay
- Remember that the VA does not have a maximum debt to income ratio cap
- Debt to income ratio requirement is set by the mortgage lender
As long as veteran borrowers can get an approve/eligible per automated findings and have at least a 580 score and meet or are above the VA Residual Income Requirement, they should get AUS Approval on VA Home Loans.
How To Get An Approve/Eligible Per Automated Underwriting System On VA Loans With High Debt To Income Ratio
All mortgage lenders will require all mortgage loan applications to be run through the Automated Underwriting System or AUS.
- The Automated Underwriting System is a high tech intricate automated mortgage underwriting system that analyzes all of the borrowers’ data
- The AUS comes up with a decision on whether or not the borrower is eligible for a mortgage loan
How The AUS Analyzes Data
Here are the data that the Automated Underwriting System analyzes:
Borrowers personal information such as the following:
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Credit scores
- Credit history
- Credit payment history
- Public records
- Liabilities and debts
- Charge off accounts
- Residential history
- Employment history
- Gaps in employment
- Current active credit accounts
- Closed credit accounts
- Credit inquiries
- Any other items on behalf of the borrower and co-borrowers
Automated Underwriting System Findings
The Automated Underwriting System will render the following:
- Approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting System
- referred /eligible per Automated Underwriting System
- Referred/with caution per Automated Underwriting System
What Are VA Lender Overlays And How Does It Affect Borrowers Who Need VA Loans With High Debt To Income Ratio
VA Mortgage Lender Overlays are additional requirements and guidelines that are set by individual mortgage lenders that are not required by the Department of Veteran Affairs.
- There is no debt to income ratio requirements on VA Loans
- But most mortgage lenders will have restrictions on debt to income ratios like capping DTI at 41% on VA Loans
- This is called a lender overlays on debt to income ratio on VA Loans by the mortgage lender and not a VA Loan requirement
- That is why many Veteran borrowers get different debt to income ratio requirements
- Same with credit scores
- Many mortgage lenders will have minimum credit score requirements of 640 and 620 Credit Scores to qualify for credit scores
This is called a mortgage lender overlay on credit scores on VA Loans by the individual mortgage lender.
Qualifying For VA Loan With A Direct Lender With No Lender Overlays
Borrowers who need to qualify for VA Loans with high debt to income ratio, they need to consult with a VA Lender with No VA Lender Overlays.
- A VA Lender with little to no lender VA Lender overlays will just go off an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting System Findings
- I recently got an approve/eligible per AUS FINDINGS on a VA borrower with a 582 Credit Score and a 60% DTI income
- The reason this Veteran got an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting System is because this borrower had high residual income and the Automated Underwriting System recognized this
Over 75% of our borrowers at Gustan Cho Associates are folks who could not qualify for at other lenders do to their lender overlays. Borrowers looking for VA Loans with high debt to income ratio and a VA Lender with no lender overlays please contact us Gustan Cho Associates at 262-716-8151 or text us for a faster response. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays.