HUD Credit Score Guidelines On FHA Home Loans
This BLOG On HUD Credit Score Guidelines On FHA Home Loans Was UPDATED On November 3rd, 2018
There are minimum credit score requirements to qualify for FHA Loans:
- HUD Credit Score Guidelines state that in order for a borrower to qualify for 3.5% down payment purchase and/or refinance, borrower must have a 580 Credit Score
- FHA is part of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development or HUD
- It is a federal organization that insures FHA Loans to lenders who are HUD Approved Lenders
- FHA does not originate mortgage loans
How Does FHA Work
FHA will insure lenders who has originated and funded a FHA Loan against borrower default.
Here is how FHA works:
- FHA approved mortgage lender will qualify a borrower
- Borrower need to meet FHA Guidelines such as minimum credit score requirements, debt to income ratio requirements, waiting period after bankruptcy and foreclosure, etc.
- Lender does not have to just adhere to the minimum FHA Guidelines but can have additional tougher FHA Requirements:
- These additional lender requirements are called FHA Lender Overlays
- Overlays are NOT imposed by HUD
- Overlays are additional guidelines on top of agency guidelines by lenders
- HUD will insure lenders if borrowers defaults on their FHA Loans
What Are Lender Overlays
Reason lenders have overlays is because whenever a FHA Loan defaults, it goes against the lender:
- If too many FHA Loans default, lenders can be cut off from doing FHA Loans by HUD
- Although FHA guarantees defaulted FHA Loans, they do not like the fact that they default
- Defaults will be counted against the lender who their borrowers default on their FHA Loans
- Consistent default which could ultimately force HUD to cut lenders off from HUD Approval
Borrowers With Credit Scores Under 620 FICO
Although borrowers with credit scores under 620 FICO qualify for FHA Home Loans, most lenders will not take any borrowers unless their credit scores are at least 620 FICO or higher.
- Many Lenders will not take on any borrowers who do not have at least a 640 FICO credit score
- Again, if borrowers credit scores are under 640 FICO, make sure lender borrowers consult with does not have any overlays
- Look for lenders with no overlays on credit scores like Gustan Cho Associates at Loan Cabin Inc.
- Again, just because borrowers meet all FHA Guidelines may mean they qualify with all lenders
- The break point with big changes in FHA Guidelines is the 620 Credit Score Mark
- HUD Credit Score Guidelines does have impact with borrowers who have credit scores under 620 FICO
HUD Credit Score Guidelines With Credit Scores Under 620 FICO
Here are the differences in qualification requirements with HUD Credit Score Guidelines on borrowers with credit scores under 620 FICO:
- Debt To Income Ratio Requirements for borrowers with under 620 FICO credit scores is capped at 43%
- Debt To Income Ratio Requirements for borrowers with over 620 FICO credit scores is capped at 46.9% DTI front end and 56.9% DTI back end
- Outstanding collections and charge offs do not have to be paid
- Credit disputes are allowed on medical collection accounts and non medical collection accounts with zero balance
- Credit disputes are not allowed on charge off accounts
- Any non medical collection accounts with over $1,000 in total aggregate collection account balance
Many Lenders will require the following additional requirements. It is not mandated by HUD. but by the individual mortgage lender may have additional guidelines called overlays. The requirements below are common requirements that many lenders require with borrowers who have credit scores of under 620 FICO.
They are called lender overlays. Here are typical overlays:
- Minimum of three credit tradelines that has been seasoned 12 to 24 months.
- Requirement of verification of rent
- Verification of rent is providing 12 months canceled checks of the borrower’s rent payments
- However, many folks who are living with family rent free cannot provide verification of rent so they would not qualify with this particular lender
- Need to consult with another lender that does not have verification of rent overlays
- Many lenders will have overlays for borrowers with under 620 FICO credit scores
- They cannot get any gift funds for down payment plus have three months of reserves as their overlays
- This is not a HUD Requirement on the Automated Approval but a lender overlay with particular lenders
- Front End Debt DTI:
- Some lenders may require a front end 31% Debt to Income Ratio Overlay
- The front end debt to income ratio is the total housing payment (P.I.T.I.) divided by the borrower’s monthly gross income
Home buyers who do meet the minimum FHA Guidelines but are told they do not qualify for a FHA Loan because of the particular mortgage overlays, please contact Gustan Cho Associates at 262-716-8151 or text for faster response. Or email us at email@example.com. Our loan officers specializes on all FHA Loan Programs that is best suited to you.