Times Where FHA Mortgage Loan Is Only Option
This BLOG On Times Where FHA Mortgage Loan Is Only Option Was UPDATED On September 3rd, 2017
There are many different types of mortgage loan programs.
Here are the types of loan programs:
- FHA Loans
- VA Loans
- USDA Loans
- Conventional Loans
- Reverse Mortgages
- FHA 203k Loans
- Jumbo Mortgages
- Non-QM Loans
- Bank Statement Loans For Self Employed Borrowers
However, the two most popular mortgage loan programs today are FHA Loans and Conventional Loans.
Conventional Versus FHA Mortgage Loans
Conventional loans have tougher lending criteria than FHA mortgage loans. Conventional Loans are not insured and guaranteed by the government like FHA Loans, VA Loans, and USDA Loans are.
- For example, to qualify for a conventional mortgage loan, borrowers need higher credit scores than FHA mortgage loans.
- Most conventional loans have caps on their debt to income ratios at 45%.
- Most conventional mortgage loan programs require that collections be paid off prior to funding the loan.
- Conventional loans via Fannie Mae do not allow non-occupied co-borrowers.
- Freddie Mac does allow non-occupant co-borrowers.
- One great thing about conventional loans is that if home buyers put 20% down payment, there is no mortgage insurance requirement.
- Whereas with FHA insured mortgage loans, mortgage insurance premium is a requirement throughout the life of the loan of a 30 year fixed rate FHA Loan.
- There are no upfront mortgage insurance premium with conventional loans.
- The private mortgage insurance premium can be substantially less than the standard 0.85% annual FHA mortgage insurance premium for borrowers with higher credit scores.
Down Payment On Home Purchase
There are two different types of minimum down payment conventional mortgage loan programs.
- The 3% minimum down payment conventional mortgage loan program for first time home buyers.
- The 5% minimum down payment conventional mortgage loan program.
- Minimum credit score requirement on conventional loans is 620.
- Conventional mortgage loans are credit score sensitive.
- The lower a borrower’s credit scores, the higher mortgage rates will be.
- The waiting period restrictions after filing bankruptcy and/or having a foreclosure is much longer for conventional mortgage loans than it is for FHA mortgage loan programs.
Cases Where FHA Mortgage Loan Program Is The Only Option For Premier Credit Mortgage Loan Borrowers
Even if you have stellar credit scores and perfect credit, there are times where the FHA mortgage loan program is the only option in order to get a deal done.
- Remember that FHA mortgage loan is for those who are owner occupants and are not allowed for second homes or investment homes.
- One example where the FHA mortgage loan program is the only option is if borrowers debt to income ratios exceed the conforming conventional debt to income ratio caps.
- Most conventional loan debt to income ratios are capped at 45%.
- For FHA mortgage loan program, debt to income ratios can be capped at 56.9% by a FHA mortgage lender who has no debt to income ratio overlays.
- The Gustan Cho Team at USA Mortgage has no lender overlays on government and conventional loans.
- If a home buyer has perfect credit but debt ratios exceed the conventional mortgage loan limit, they would have no other choice but to go with the FHA mortgage loan program.
Two To Four Unit Properties
Any owner occupied property up to 4 units is considered residential property.
- Minimum down payment for a single family home for a conventional loan is 3% or 5%.
- However, any residential property of 2 units or more, the minimum down payment for a conventional loan jumps to 15% or more.
- For FHA mortgage loan program, the minimum down payment remains at 3.5% for units of 2 to 4 units.
- Although the conventional mortgage loan borrower might qualify for a single family home, they will not qualify for a multi-unit residential property without putting down the required 15% or more down payment.
- FHA mortgage loan program is the only option to go in the event if the home buyer is limited with their down payment and cannot put down 15% or more.
- With FHA mortgage loan program, a 3.5% down payment will be sufficient.
FHA Lender With No Lender Overlays
Home Buyers who have less than perfect credit or higher debt to income ratio who needs to qualify with a direct lender with no lender overlays, please contact The Gustan Cho Team at USA Mortgage at 1-800-900-8569 or text us at 262-716-8151 for faster response. We are available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Borrowers can also email us at email@example.com.