Why Do Underwriters Ask For Letter Of Explanations?
This BLOG On Why Do Underwriters Ask For Letter Of Explanations Was UPDATED And PUBLISHED On May 13th, 2020
Mortgage Borrowers currently in the mortgage loan application process or about to start the mortgage loan application process with a mortgage company should be prepared to write letter of explanations to underwriter during the mortgage process.
Letters of Explanation will be required for the following items:
- Derogatory past credit
- Deed in lieu of foreclosure
- Short sale
- Late payments
- Irregular deposits
- Large deposits
- Gaps in employment
- Credit inquiries
- Other issues that the underwriter needs clarification
In this article, we will discuss and cover Why Do Underwriters Ask For Letter Of Explanations.
Why Do Underwriters Ask For Letter Of Explanations? Should I Worry?
Many home loan applicants panic when they are asked for letter of explanations from the mortgage underwriter throughout the mortgage loan process.
- There is no right or wrong way in writing letter of explanations
- Some letter of explanations are extremely important and can make or break a loan commitment
- Most letter of explanations can just be one liners
- Most experienced mortgage loan officers will go over the issue the mortgage underwriter is asking
- Most loan officers will write the letter of explanations for borrowers and all the borrower needs to do is sign it
- Many times the loan officer will interview borrowers and the borrowers will tell the loan officer what happened
- The loan officer will write it up
- Borrowers can sign the actual letter of explanations at closing
Letter of explanations should not be long and should just be focused on the question or questions asked.
How To Write Letter Of Explanations To Underwriters
One of the most common requests for letter of explanations is the credit inquiries that are reported on your credit report.
Let’s take an example of sample credit inquiries on credit report:
- ABC Mortgage
- First Financial
- Best Home Loans
- Capital One Credit Card
- Used Autos
- ABC Auto Finance
Let’s assume the six credit inquiries above shows on the credit report and the mortgage loan underwriter is requesting letter of explanations.
Sample Letter Of Explanation To A Mortgage Underwriter
Here is what needs to be written to satisfy these conditions all in a one page letter:
To whom it may concern:
I am writing to explain the credit inquiries on my credit report. Item 1, ABC Mortgage, was a credit inquiry due to shopping for mortgage. Item 2, First Financial was a credit inquiry due for shopping for mortgage. Item 3, Best Home Loans was a credit inquiry due for shopping for mortgage. Item 4, Capital One was an inquiry due to shopping for best credit card interest rates. Item 5, Used Autos was for shopping for a car. Item 6, ABC Auto Finance was an inquiry for shopping for auto loan interest rates.
The above letter of explanation is more than sufficient.
- Letter of explanations should be type written, signed, and dated by the borrower and/or borrowers of the home loan
- Letters of explanations should not be lengthy and should be as concise and short as possible
Borrowers do not want to volunteer more information than whatever is requested because volunteering more information may open up a can of worms.
Why Do Underwriters Ask For Letter Of Explanations Letter Of Explanations For Prior Bankruptcy Or Foreclosure
Many mortgage loan applicants who had a prior bankruptcy or foreclosure panic when the mortgage underwriter asks for letter of explanations on why they filed bankruptcy or had to go through a foreclosure.
- No need to panic
- Mortgage underwriters will already have your bankruptcy and/or foreclosure papers
All they need is from your own words the cause of your bankruptcy or foreclosure.
LOX Prior To Bankruptcy
Here is a sample letter of explanation for a prior bankruptcy:
To whom it may concern:
I filed for bankruptcy on January of 2010 and my bankruptcy was discharged in April of 2010. The reason for me filing for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy was due to being unemployed since June of 2009 from my employer, ABC Consulting. I tried gaining employment but after six months of being unemployed, I had no choice but to file bankruptcy.
The above letter of explanation is more than sufficient and you do not have to get more detailed than that.
- Most letters of explanations is just a formality required by mortgage lenders
Chances are the mortgage loan officer will write the letter of explanation for borrowers or coach borrowers on how to write the letter of explanations.
Why Do Underwriters Ask For Letter Of Explanations Letter Of Explanations For Derogatory Items And Unpaid Collection Accounts
Most mortgage borrowers freak out when a mortgage underwriter asks for letter of explanations on unpaid collection accounts and prior derogatory items. No worries.
- Borrowers can qualify for a FHA loan with unpaid collection accounts and prior derogatory items
- Actually, medical collections do not even count and are ignored by mortgage underwriters but still want a letter of explanation
- Letter of explanations should be very brief and to the point
- GCA Mortgage Group has no lender overlays on government and conventional loans.
- Borrowers who are currently in the mortgage process with a lender and that lender is asking for collections and charge offs to be paid off, it is because that lender has overlays
If current lender instructs to pay off outstanding collections or charge offs, please contact us at Gustan Cho Associates at 262-716-8151 or text us for faster response. Or email us at [email protected]
LOX On Outstanding Collection Accounts
For example, if the underwriter asks for letter of explanations on unpaid collection accounts, all that needs to be stated is the following:
To whom it may concern:
I am writing this letter of explanation to address ABC Credit Card collection account. Back in 2009, I lost my job and was unemployed for over six months. Due to my unemployment, I could not pay my bills and ABC Credit Card went into collections. I have since recovered and have re-established credit and have been timely on all of my payments.
The above is all you need to state on derogatory credit items.
Why Do Underwriters Ask For Letter Of Explanations With Late Payments After Bankruptcy And Foreclosure
Late Payments after bankruptcy and/or foreclosure is the kiss of death. Most lenders WILL NOT accept any mortgage applicants with late payments after bankruptcy, foreclosure, short sale, deed in lieu of foreclosure for 7 years. Even if they have an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting System (AUS). However, Gustan Cho Associates Mortgage Group will accept late payments after bankruptcy and/or foreclosure as long as borrowers have an automated approval. Over 75% of our borrowers are folks who are going through a stressful mortgage process or had a last minute mortgage loan denial due to the lender overlays. Borrowers who are going through a stressful mortgage process or gotten a last minute loan denial, please contact us at 262-716-8151 or text us for a faster response. Or email us at [email protected] We are available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays.