This BLOG On Home Loans After Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Mortgage Guidelines Was UPDATED And PUBLISHED On October 21st, 2019
For those who fell victim to our country’s economic collapse and lost their jobs, chances are that they are overwhelmed with debts.
- Many have lost high paying jobs and compromised with lower-paying jobs with little or no benefits
- In the meantime, they are struggling with making minimum payments on high-interest credit cards and other debts where they cannot get ahead and see the light at the end of the tunnel
- Maybe the best solution for those who cannot seem to get ahead is to consider filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy and have a fresh start
- Borrowers can now qualify for home loans after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy as long as they meet the waiting period after bankruptcy on government and conventional loans
In this article, we will cover and discuss home loans after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Mortgage Guidelines.
Qualifying For Home Loans After Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
The minute an individual files for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, creditors cannot make contact and demand payment on past due bills from consumers.
- Petitioners of bankruptcy need to make a list of all creditors that want the bankruptcy court to relieve of the debts owed to creditors
- Petitioners can keep the auto loan and exclude it from bankruptcy and other credit items
Once Chapter 7 bankruptcy is discharged by the bankruptcy court, all of the debts get wiped out and consumers can have a fresh financial start.
Credit After Bankruptcy
Filing bankruptcy can plummet credit scores more than 200 plus points.
- However, that drop is a temporary drop
- Credit scores will gradually increase as bankruptcy ages
- Consumers should start re-establishing credit as soon after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy discharge
- The easiest and fastest way to re-establish credit after filing bankruptcy is by getting three to five secured credit cards with at least $500 credit limits
- Each one of those secured credit cards will boost credit scores by a minimum of 20 or more points
- Consumer credit scores will gradually increase as time passes
There are many cases where people’s credit scores are in the 700’s after a year of bankruptcy discharge with the use of secured credit cards.
Tips In Qualifying For Home Loans After Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
There is a minimum of a 2 year waiting period after filing bankruptcy in order to qualify for FHA home loans after Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
- Just waiting out the 2 years mandatory waiting period does not guarantee a mortgage loan approval
- Lenders do not want to see any late payments after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
- Lenders want to see the mortgage loan borrower has re-established credit
- Most lenders like to see a minimum of three credit trade lines and no late payments after filing bankruptcy
- Lenders also do not want to see any overdrafts in the borrower’s checking accounts in the past 12 months
- Mortgage lenders want to see rental verification
- It is very important that when paying monthly rent pay it with a check
Canceled checks are how lenders document rental verification.
VA And FHA Loans During & After Chapter 13 Bankruptcy
Home Buyers can qualify for VA And FHA Loans during and after Chapter 13 Bankruptcy.
- Home Buyers can qualify for VA and FHA Loans one year into a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Repayment Plan with the approval of their Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Trustee
- Most Trustees will approve a home purchase
- Out of the countless of VA and FHA Loans during and after Chapter 13 Bankruptcy I have originated and funded, I did not have a single Trustee not approve Borrower from a VA and/or FHA Loan during a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Repayment Plan
- There is no waiting period to qualify for FHA Loans after a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharged date
- However, if the Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharge has been seasoned less than two years, it needs to be a manual underwrite
Gustan Cho Associates does manual underwriting and is a direct lender with overlays.
Mortgage Approval After Bankruptcy With Government Loans
Government Loans are owner occupant home loans guaranteed by FHA, USDA, VA.
Here is the waiting period to qualify for government loan programs after bankruptcy.
- Home Buyers should have no problem qualifying for FHA Loans after two years of bankruptcy discharge date with re-established credit and no late payments after bankruptcy
- Veteran home buyers can qualify for VA Loans after two years of their Chapter 7 Bankruptcy discharged date
- USDA Guidelines On Qualifying for USDA Loans after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy is 3 years
- With FHA & VA Loans, homebuyers can qualify for home loans after one year into a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Repayment Plan with the approval of Bankruptcy Trustee
- There is no waiting period to qualify for FHA and VA Loans after Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharged date
However, if the Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharge is seasoned less than two years after the discharged date, it needs to be a manual underwrite.
Conventional Mortgage Loan After A Bankruptcy
There is a mandatory four-year waiting period to qualify for a conventional mortgage loan after a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy discharged date.
- 2 years after Chapter 13 discharged date
- 4 years after Chapter 13 dismissal date
Re-established credit and no late payments after the Chapter 7 bankruptcy is normally required to get an approve/eligible per Automated Underwriting System.
Credit Score Guidelines On Conventional Loans
A minimum credit score of 620 FICO is required on conventional loans.
- The four-year waiting period starts from the discharge date of the Chapter 7 bankruptcy
- New Fannie Mae Guidelines for consumers who had a mortgage as part of their bankruptcy that came into effect last August 2014
- Conventional mortgage borrower who had a mortgage part of Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the waiting period start date starts from Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge date and not the recorded date of the foreclosure
- That is great news for mortgage loan borrowers seeking a conventional loan or those whose foreclosures got recorded at a later date
Home Buyers who had a prior Chapter 7 and/or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy can now qualify for Home Loans After Bankruptcy with Gustan Cho Associates. For more information or to qualify, please contact us at 262-716-8151 or text us for faster response. Or email us at email@example.com. We are available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays.