VA AUS Approval Versus Manual Underwriting On VA Home Loans
This BLOG On VA AUS Approval Versus Manual Underwriting On VA Home Loans Was PUBLISHED On October 15th, 2019
VA Loans are the best loan program for owner-occupant home buyers.
- The Department of Veterans Affairs, The VA, is the government agency that insures VA Loans to private lenders who originate and fund VA Loans
- The Veterans Administration does not originate nor fund VA Loans
- VA Mortgages are originated and funded by private VA-Approved Lenders
- In the event borrowers default their VA Loans and the property goes into foreclosure, the VA will partially guarantee the loss the lender sustains
- Due to this government guarantee by The VA, lenders can offer 100% financing at very low rates on VA Loans
In this blog, we will discuss VA AUS Approval Versus Manual Underwriting on VA Loans.
VA Guidelines And Getting VA AUS Approval
The Automated Underwriting System (AUS) is a sophisticated automated system that analyzes the specific agency mortgage guidelines within a matter of seconds and renders an automated decision. The three decisions the automated underwriting system (AUS) will render the following decisions:
- Borrowers who meet all agency mortgage guidelines will get an approve/eligible per AUS
- Refer/Eligible means the automated underwriting system cannot render an automated underwriting system approval but the file is eligible for manual underwriting
- Refer with caution means the borrower does not qualify
Getting VA AUS Approval is key. Lenders who get VA AUS Approval can get their VA Loans processed and closed if they can meet the conditions rendered by the automated underwriting system. The AUS has the algorithms of VA Mortgage Guidelines.
Eligibility Requirements On VA Home Loans To Get VA AUS Approval
Here are the basic VA Mortgage Guidelines. Borrowers who meet the following VA eligibility requirements should get an automated underwriting system (AUS) approval:
- 100% financing which means no down payment required on VA Loans
- The VA does not have a minimum credit score requirement
- Borrowers with 500 FICO can get a VA AUS Approval
- The VA does not have a maximum debt to income ratio requirement if the borrower has a residual income
- Outstanding collections and charge off accounts do not have to be paid off to get a VA AUS Approval
- Timely payments in the past 12 months in getting an automated underwriting system approval
- There are no credit tradeline requirements but credit tradelines are positive in getting AUS approval
- Reserves and down payment are considered compensating factors for manual underwriting and/or borrowers with lower credit scores
- The 2-year waiting period after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy discharged date, foreclosure, deed in lieu of foreclosure, short-sale
The VA understands that many active and retired veterans of the armed services may have lower credit profiles than their civilian counterparts. Soldiers may have difficulty paying their bills timely when they are deployed overseas. Gustan Cho Associates have gotten countless of VA AUS Approval of borrowers with credit scores in the 500 FICO and debt to income ratios over 60% DTI.
Lender Overlays Versus VA Agency Guidelines
Gustan Cho Associates at Loan Cabin Inc. are direct lenders with no lender overlays on VA Loans.
- As long as the borrower gets a VA AUS Approval and they can meet the conditions of the AUS, then the loan will close
- However, not all lenders are like Gustan Cho Associates
- Most lenders have overlays on VA Loans
- What lender overlays are is mortgage guidelines that are above and beyond VA Lending Guidelines
- For example, the VA does not have a minimum credit score requirement
- However, most lenders will require a 620 credit score
- The 620 credit score requirement is a lender overlay by the particular lender
- The VA does not have a maximum credit score requirement
- However, it is typical for a lender to have a 45% to 50% DTI requirement as part of their lender overlays
Bottom line is many lenders will require additional lending requirements on VA Loans even though the borrower has a VA AUS Approval. Gustan Cho Associates at Loan Cabin Inc. has no lender overlays on government and conventional loans.
Manual Underwriting Guidelines On VA Loans
VA and FHA Loans are the only two loan programs that allow manual underwriting. If a borrower gets a refer/eligible per automated underwriting system (AUS), the file can be manually underwritten.
VA Manual Underwriting Guidelines state the following:
- Meet all VA Mortgage Guidelines
- Timely payments in the past 12 months
- Borrowers who are in a current Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Repayment Plan can qualify for VA Loans via manual underwriting with Trustee Approval
- There are no waiting period requirements after Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharged date
- Any bankruptcy discharge that has not been seasoned for at least 2 years needs to be manually underwritten
- Maximum debt to income ratio requirement with no compensating factors on manual underwriting is 31% front end DTI and 43% back end DTI
- Maximum DTI with one compensating factor is 37% DTI front end and 47% DTI back end
- Maximum debt to income ratio with two compensating factors is 40% DTI from end and 50% DTI back end
Borrowers who need to qualify for a VA Loan with a direct lender with no lender overlays, please contact us at Gustan Cho Associates at 262-716-8151 or text us for faster response. Or email us at email@example.com.