This BLOG On FHA Mortgage Loans With No Overlays With Credit & DTI Was UPDATED And PUBLISHED On February 24th, 2020
- The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is the parent of The Federal Housing Administration (FHA)
- HUD is not a lender and has nothing to do with the origination, processing, underwriting, and funding FHA Loans
- The Federal Housing Administration is a government entity that insures FHA Home Loans originated and funded by private lenders in the event borrowers default on their FHA Loans
- In order for HUD to insure and guarantee lenders against losses on defaulted loans that go into foreclosure, lenders must be HUD Approved and follow HUD Guidelines when underwriting FHA Loans
In this article, we will cover and discuss choosing a lender with no lender overlays on FHA loans.
The Reason Why FHA Loans Are So Popular
FHA Loans is the most popular mortgage loan program in the United States:
- FHA mortgages benefit home buyers with less than perfect credit, higher debt to income ratios, 3.5% down payment, and first time home buyers
- One thing borrowers need to understand is that not all Lenders offer FHA Loans With No Overlays
- We will discuss what FHA Mortgage Loans With No Overlays
- There are typical common overlays lenders often have
- Borrowers need to understand just because they qualify for FHA Loans and meet HUD Guidelines does not mean that they qualify with all lenders
- Just because a home buyer gets denied by one lender does not mean they cannot qualify with another
Gustan Cho Associates is a five-star national lender with no overlays on government and conventional loans. Gustan Cho Associates is one of the few national direct lenders that offers FHA Mortgage Loans With No Overlays.
Home Purchase With FHA Mortgage Loans With No Overlays
FHA Loans allow a home buyer to be able to purchase a home with as little as 3.5% down payment.
- Homebuyers with a prior bankruptcy, foreclosure, deed in lieu of foreclosure, or short sale can have a second chance and be able to purchase a new home as long as they have re-established their credit
The Federal Housing Administration also allows borrowers to have their down payment gifted from relatives or family members.
The Federal Housing Administration Also Allows Non-Occupant Co-Borrower
FHA mortgage loans have much lenient lending guidelines than Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac conventional mortgage loan programs.
- Minimum credit scores to qualify for an FHA Loan is 580 FICO with a 3.5% down payment
- For conventional loans, minimum credit scores required to qualify for a conventional loan is 620 FICO
- Down payment requirements for a conventional home buyer is 3% down payment for first time home buyers and 5% for seasoned home buyers
- First time home buyers are defined as someone who did not own a home in the past three years
- HUD allows family members to be added on as non-occupant co-borrowers (more than one non-occupant co-borrowers is allowed)
VA only allows spouse married to a veteran borrower to be added as co-borrower.
FHA Mortgage Lenders With Zero Overlays
Not all FHA mortgage lenders have the same FHA mortgage lending criteria:
- Many lenders have mortgage lender overlays which are above and beyond the bare minimum HUD mortgage lending guidelines set by the Federal Housing Administration
- For example, the minimum credit score to qualify for a home loan with a minimum of a 3.5% down payment per FHA mortgage guidelines is a 580 FICO score
- However, lenders may have overlays on credit scores that they will not accept any borrowers with at least a 640 FICO score
Other examples of mortgage lender overlays are minimum credit tradeline requirements.
Typical Lender Overlays
Some lenders require a minimum of 3 credit tradelines that have been seasoned for at least 24 months while others require 12 months seasoning requirements as their overlays:
- Some lenders require rental verification
- This holds true even though DU FINDINGS does not require rental verification
- Borrowers can get approved for mortgage loans with unpaid old collections
- Certain lenders might require that all collections be paid off prior to closing as part of their overlay requirements
- The maximum back end debt to income ratio to qualify for FHA loans is 56.9%
Many lenders will have overlays capping back end debt to income ratios at 50% or even lower.
FHA Mortgage Loans With No Overlays For Borrowers
Over 75% of our borrowers are folks who either gotten a last-minute mortgage loan denial or are stressing during their current mortgage process with another lender.
- The main reason for stress during the mortgage process or a mortgage denial by an underwriter is due to the fact that borrowers were not properly qualified
- Borrowers were issued pre-approval letters by a loan officer without the file being underwritten
- All of our pre-approvals at Gustan Cho Associates are full credit loan approvals/loan commitment that has been fully underwritten and signed off by our mortgage underwriters
This is the reason why we close 100% of all our pre-approvals. There is no reason why any borrower who was issued a pre-approval letter should not just close but not close on time.
Why We Close Most Of Our Mortgage Loans
Gustan Cho Associates are five-star national lenders with no overlays on government and conventional loans:
- We can help borrowers who cannot qualify at other lending companies
- As long as the borrower gets an approve/eligible from Fannie Mae and/or Freddie Mac Automated Underwriting System DU FINDINGS, Gustan Cho Associates will close the loan
- The automated findings is the borrowers conditional loan approval
- Whatever the DU FINDINGS state is the conditions that is required for the clear to close (CTC)
- Debt to income ratios requirements to get an approve/eligible per AUS FINDINGS is 46.9% front end and 56.9% DTI back end
- No rental verification (If AUS does not request)
- Outstanding collections do not have to be paid
- Charge offs do not matter and do not have to be paid
The minimum credit score required is 580 to qualify for 3.5% down payment FHA Mortgages.
Common Mortgage Overlays By Lenders
As mentioned earlier, most lenders have overlays which are mortgage guidelines that are above and beyond those of FHA Guidelines.
Here are typical common lender overlays:
Many lenders will not go under 620 credit scores on FHA Loans:
- This is called a lender overlay on credit scores
Debt To Income Ratio Overlays:
- Maximum debt to income ratio to get approve/eligible per AUS is 46.9% front end and 56.9% back end
- Many lenders will cap debt to income ratio at 45% to 50%
Many lenders will want borrowers to pay off outstanding collections and charge offs:
- This is not required by the lender with no overlays
- Many lenders treat timeshare foreclosures as real estate foreclosure:
- However, under HUD Guidelines, timeshares are not real estate and are installment loans
- So there is no waiting period after a timeshare foreclosure
Overlays on credit disputes:
- Credit Disputes on non-medical collections and any non-medical collections with an aggregate outstanding balance under $1,000 are exempt from retraction:
- However, many lenders want borrowers to retract all credit disputes where retracting a credit dispute will lower credit scores
VA And FHA Loan During And After Chapter 13 Bankruptcy
VA and FHA have the same mortgage guidelines when it comes to qualifying for VA and/or FHA Loans During and After Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, most mortgage companies will have overlays on qualifying for VA and/or FHA Loans During and After Chapter 13 Bankruptcy.
- However, under both VA and FHA Guidelines, borrowers can qualify for mortgage loans during Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Repayment Plan
- This holds true as long as they have been in it for at least 12 months
- There is no waiting period to qualify for both VA Loans and FHA Loans after Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharge date
However, most lenders will have overlays on qualifying for VA and FHA Loans After Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharge date of two years.
Qualifying For FHA Mortgage Loans With No Overlays
Home Buyers who have been denied by other lenders or do not qualify due to that lender overlays, please contact us at Gustan Cho Associates at 262-716-8151 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are direct lenders with no overlays on government and conventional loans. All of our pre-approvals are fully underwritten and signed off by our mortgage underwriters.