This BLOG On How Credit Repair During Mortgage Underwriting Can Halt Loan Process Was UPDATED And PUBLISHED On August 14th, 2020
Mortgage Borrowers Should Know The Impact Of Credit Repair During Mortgage Underwriting
The mission of Gustan Cho Associates Mortgage Group is to help home buyers and homeowners secure home loans with bad credit.
- Many home buyers and homeowners do not realize that they can qualify for a home loan with prior bad credit
- Borrowers can also qualify for a mortgage with lower credit scores
- They do not necessarily need to hire expensive credit repair companies or attorneys
- Before going about repairing credit by hiring a credit repair company, please contact Gustan Cho Associates for a no-cost, no-obligation credit analysis
In this article, we will cover and discuss How Credit Repair During Mortgage Underwriting Can Halt Loan Process.
How Does Credit Repair Work
Credit Repair During The Mortgage Process:
Credit Repair during the mortgage process is disputing negative and/or incorrect information by disputing it to creditors and/collection agencies.
- Credit Repair is extremely effective if you can provide documentation that the information that the credit reporting companies are reporting is incorrect
- However, trying to remove an actual correct item that is reporting as a derogatory item on credit report can be somewhat challenging
- How credit repair works are when consumers dispute a derogatory item to the credit reporting agencies stating that the item is incorrect or does not belong to them
- The credit bureaus then notify the actual creditor
- The creditor has 30 days to report back to the credit reporting agencies with proof that the item reported is correct
If the creditor does not respond back in 30 days, the credit bureaus need to remove and delete the derogatory information from the credit report.
Can I Qualify For Mortgage With Bad Credit?
Many times credit repair is not necessary when it comes to qualifying for a mortgage loan.
- Credit scores are extremely important
- Borrowers need to meet the minimum credit score requirements to qualify for a certain mortgage loan program
- For example, need a minimum of a 580 credit score to qualify for a 3.5% down payment FHA home purchase loan
- Need at least a 620 credit score to qualify for a conventional loan
- Can have unpaid outstanding collections and charge offs and previous bad credit and still qualify for a mortgage loan
- Do not have to pay off outstanding unpaid collection balances
- Never pay off an old collection account unless it is a pay for delete agreement
- Paying off an older collection account, the credit reporting agencies will update the date of last activity, also known as DLA
- The update will trigger the credit report as a new collection account
It will not just lower credit scores but will set a new statute of limitations on the outstanding collection account.
How Are Collection Accounts Treated When Qualifying For FHA Loans?
There are three different categories of collection accounts and non-medical collection accounts can affect the debt to income ratios of the borrower with FHA Loans.
Here are the three types of collection and derogatory accounts:
- Non-Medical Collection Accounts
- Medical Collection Accounts
- Charge Off Accounts
FHA Guidelines On Outstanding Medical Collection Accounts
Medical collections do not count no matter how much the unpaid balance is:
- Has no impact on the calculations of the borrower’s debt to income ratios
- This rule is FHA Guidelines
- FHA does not have a problem on the amount of the outstanding medical collection account balance
- However, many lenders may have lender overlays
- They may require all collection accounts to be paid off regardless of whether they are medical collection accounts or non-medical collection accounts
Some lenders will have a cap on the maximum collection account balance a borrower may have such as no more than $5,000 or sometimes even less.
FHA Guidelines On Outstanding Non-Medical Collection Accounts
With non-medical collections, 5% of the unpaid balance will be counted towards monthly expenses even though borrowers do not have to pay for it. That is used in calculating debt to income ratios.
- This rule only applies if the borrower has a total of $2,000 or more in outstanding unpaid collection accounts
- Any outstanding non-medical unpaid collection accounts with balances under $2,000 is exempt from this rule
- Many times, a borrower may have a substantial outstanding non-medical collection account
- The 5% of the outstanding unpaid collection account may disqualify them from qualifying for an FHA loan because the monthly debt payment used may be a substantial amount
- In cases like these, the borrower can enter into a written payment agreement with the creditor and/or collection agency
- Whatever figure that is agreed upon by both parties, that number will be used as a monthly debt payment in the calculations of the debt to income ratios
- There are no seasoning requirements on this rule
The day that the written repayment agreement is executed is the day that this will go into effect.
Derogatory Items On Credit Report
The older the derogatory item is, the less impact the derogatory item has on credit scores:
- Derogatory credit items will stay on the credit report for 7 years with the exception of bankruptcies which will remain on the credit report for 10 years
- Derogatory items with zero balances or charged-off accounts, and they are more than 2 years old, it will not impact credit scores
- Hiring a credit repair company is a waste of money and may do more damage than good
Bankruptcy and foreclosure that are older than 2 years old will have little to no impact on credit scores as long as consumers have positive re-established credit.
Reestablishing Credit After Bankruptcy And Foreclosure
There are many cases where a consumer has filed bankruptcy and/or had a foreclosure:
- They can easily have credit scores of over 700 one year after their bankruptcy and/or foreclosure
- This is because they have re-established their credit
- Nothing is wrong to have a credit repair work on repairing credit
But there can be issues when hiring a credit repair company do credit repair during mortgage underwriting which we will discuss later on this article.
Secured Credit Cards Are The Best Tools Of Re-Establishing Credit
Borrowers who have recently filed bankruptcy, had a foreclosure, had a deed in lieu of foreclosure, had a short sale, or had a bunch of late payments due to a loss of a job or other extenuating circumstances and are in better financial shape now, the best way of re-establishing credit is by adding positive credit by getting several secured credit cards.
- Secured credit cards are like regular unsecured credit cards
- Except that applicants need to put down a deposit with the secured credit card company
- The secured credit card company will grant a credit limit equal to the deposit
- Each secured credit card should be able to boost credit scores by at least 20 or more points
- As time goes by, credit scores will improve and past derogatory credit items will have more of a lesser impact
- Three secured credit cards will greatly improve credit
- There are countless folks who have filed bankruptcy or foreclosure who have credit scores north of 700 plus just one year after getting 3 to 5 secured credit cards
Instead of spending money on credit repair, get secured credit cards.
Times Where Credit Repair During Mortgage Process Is Needed
There are times where Gustan Cho Associates will recommend credit repair during the mortgage process.
- Folks who have dozens of derogatory credit may benefit by hiring a professional credit repair company
- Due your due diligence when hiring a credit repair company
- Buyers seeking a home loan but have low credit scores or a lot of collection accounts, contact Gustan Cho Associates at 262-716-8151 or text us for a faster response
- Also, email Gustan Cho at GCho@GustanCho.com for any help
Credit Disputes And Credit Repair During Mortgage Underwriting
Borrowers cannot have disputes and credit repair during mortgage underwriting on non-medical collection accounts with outstanding collection balances. Any credit disputes on unpaid balances that are greater than $1,000 or mortgage file will be placed under suspense unless it is retracted:
- Borrowers are not allowed to have any credit disputes on any outstanding non-medical collection accounts with a total collection balances that are greater than $1,000 or any charge off accounts
- Credit disputes under $1,000 or credit disputes that are non-medical collection accounts with zero balances are alright to have credit disputes
Borrowers are allowed to have credit disputes on medical collection accounts with outstanding unpaid balances and that will not need to be retracted.
Removing Credit Disputes And Credit Repair During Mortgage Underwriting
Removing disputes and credit repair during mortgage underwriting can sometimes be difficult. This is because many creditors realize consumers are trying to retract those credit disputes because they are applying for a mortgage loan.
- Consumers need a reputable credit repair consultant to help with credit repair and/or retract the credit disputes during the mortgage approval process
- Please do not hesitate to contact us at Gustan Cho Associates
- Under no circumstances are any members at Gustan Cho Associates affiliated and/or associated with any credit repair companies
Nor are any kickbacks or referral fees permitted in no way, shape, or form.
Credit Repair During Mortgage Underwriting On Late Payments After Bankruptcy And Foreclosures
Almost all mortgage lenders will not approve any mortgage borrowers who had a late payment or late payments after a bankruptcy or foreclosure for any type of mortgage loan.
- This is when credit repair comes in handy where the professional credit repair consultant can roll up their sleeves and wheel and deal
- There are some of the best credit repair consultants in the industry where they can really go to bat and get the job done
Remember that credit repair is not necessary to qualify for a mortgage. Contact us at Gustan Cho Associates Mortgage Group at 262-716-8151 or text us for a faster response. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DISCLAIMER: Gustan Cho Associates nor any of its subsidiaries has no affiliation with any credit repair companies nor does it approve or disapprove with any credit repair companies. All licensed loan officers and support staff at Gustan Cho Associates and its affiliates and/or subsidiaries cannot accept any monies and/or favors for referring clients to any credit repair companies nor referring them to any of our borrowers. All loan officers who refer borrowers to a credit repair company are doing so due to the fact that they have had positive experiences with the credit repair company in question but again, Gustan Cho Associates has no ties, affiliation, nor affiliate business agreement with any credit repair companies nor credit repair consultants.