This BLOG On Duplex Mortgage Loans Down Payment Guidelines
A duplex is a two-unit multi-unit residential housing unit. HUD, the parent of FHA, allows homebuyers to qualify for a 3.5% home purchase FHA loan on an owner-occupant one to four-unit home. The owner needs to occupy one of the units and can rent out the remaining units when they purchase a one to four-unit multi-family home:
- In Chicago, it is often called two flats when there is an apartment on the first floor and another apartment on the second floor
- The owner often lives in one of the units and rents out the other unit
- Two flats in Chicago often have basements
- Many Chicago two flats have basement apartments and oftentimes, these basement apartments have been remodeled without proper building permits but the duplex owner still collect rent
- The City of Chicago is aware of this but do not enforce the building code
- Mortgage lenders who originate duplex mortgage loans will not count rental income from illegal basement apartments
In this article, we will discuss and cover Duplex Mortgage Loans Down Payment Guidelines.
3.5% Down Payment FHA Versus 15% Down Payment Conventional
A duplex or 2 flat is an excellent choice for those homebuyers who eventually want to be property investors or first time home buyers who want a lot of property for their money.
- A duplex home buyer can qualify for a 3.5% down payment duplex mortgage loan
- This only holds true if the duplex is an owner-occupied residence
- Duplex mortgage loans have higher FHA loan limits than single-family loans
- Rental income for the additional unit can be used for income qualification
- HUD has higher FHA loan limits on two to four-unit FHA loans
- One of the units of the duplex must be owner-occupied and the second unit can be rented
- The appraisal of the 2 unit needs to include 1007, which is the schedule of market rents
- From the schedule of market rent for the rental unit, 85% of the market rent can be used towards rental income in qualifying borrower’s debt to income ratios on FHA Loans
Conventional Guidelines only allow 75% of the potential income to be used.
Using Vacant Apartment Income On 2 To 4 Unit Properties
Buyers of multi-unit properties can use 85% of potential rental income on FHA Loans and 75% of potential rental income on Conventional Loans:
- Correct, 85% of rental income
- I just checked HUD’s website, and the loan limit for a 2-unit is $468,150
- The duplex home buyer also needs expanded homeowners insurance to include 6 months rental loss insurance
For conventional duplex mortgage loans, a 15% down payment is required for owner-occupied duplex properties.
Can I Purchase A Single Family Owner Occupied Home After Duplex Mortgage Loans?
Home Buyers can qualify for another owner-occupied home after you have lived on duplex for at least a year.
- They can rent out the primary unit of your duplex
- Homeowners can only have one owner-occupied home
- But there are exceptions to the rule where if they purchased an owner-occupied home but want to move out of there and purchase another owner-occupied home
- Exceptions to this rule are if you get a job transfer that is beyond commuting distance or if they need to either upgrade home because family is expanding
- Or downsize home because kids are now grown and are off to college
Buying a single-family home after purchasing an owner-occupied duplex qualifies for upgrading to a larger single-family home.
Non-QM Duplex Mortgage Loans
Home Buyers who need to qualify for duplex mortgage loans with a mortgage company licensed in multiple states with no mortgage overlays on government and conventional loans can contact us at Gustan Cho Associates at 262-716-8151 or text us for a faster response. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Gustan Cho Associates has no lender overlays on government and conventional loans. GCA Mortgage Group has a national reputation of being a one-stop mortgage shop. This is due to offering non-QM and alternative mortgage loan programs. We have partnerships with over 50 non-QM wholesale mortgage lenders. Gustan Cho Associates has every mortgage loan program available in today’s market. This includes owner-occupant homes, second homes, and investment properties. Some of our popular non-QM loan programs include 12-month bank statement mortgages, non-QM mortgages one day out of bankruptcy and foreclosure, asset-depletion mortgages, P and L no-doc stated income mortgages, and fix and flip mortgages.