How To Avoid Mortgage Loan Denial By Underwriters
This BLOG On How To Avoid Mortgage Loan Denial By Underwriters Was UPDATED On December 30th, 2017
Home buyers depend and rely on a mortgage pre-approval by their lenders. Once they get a written pre-approval letter by a mortgage lender, buyers then go shopping for a home and enter into a real estate purchase contract on a home.
- They already have completed a mortgage application
- Their credit have been checked
- They supplied documents such as two years tax returns, two years W-2s, two months bank statements, and other required mortgage documents
- The mortgage loan originator most likely got a Fannie Mae Automated Underwriting System DU approval and everything seems like a go
- However, during the underwriting process their mortgage loan gets a mortgage loan denial
What went wrong?
Reasons For Mortgage Loan Denial By Underwriters
Every mortgage loan originator has their own style in how they originate and qualify the borrower’s mortgage loan application.
- The main reason for a mortgage loan denial is due to the fact that the borrower was not properly qualified
- There are two types of mortgage guidelines
- Federal mortgage guidelines by FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac
- Mortgage Lender Overlays by individual lenders
- Automated Underwriting System Approval is required on all mortgage files unless it is a manually underwritten borrower
- However, most lenders have lender overlays and just because borrowers pass AUS does not mean that the particular lender can do the loan
- The Gustan Cho Team at USA Mortgage is a direct lender with no lender overlays and we just go off AUS Findings
- Unfortunately, not all lenders just go off AUS
- I know that I can get the mortgage loan processed, underwritten, and clear to close and closed with just an Automated Underwriting System Approval
- Unfortunately, most mortgage lenders have their own lender overlays which surpasses Fannie Mae’s Automated Underwriting System approval and during the mortgage underwriting process, a mortgage loan denial is possible due to overlays
- Over 75% of our borrowers at The Gustan Cho Team at USA Mortgage are mortgage applicants who have gotten denied by other mortgage lenders
- The way I qualify my borrowers who have challenged credit is to go over their case scenario with my underwriter and cover every possible hurdle
- All of our pre-approvals are fully underwritten and is a full credit loan approval signed of by our underwriters
- One of the main reasons for a possible mortgage loan denial is if the mortgage loan borrower has high debt to income ratios where every additional income can get the borrower over the maximum allowable debt to income ratios
Here Are Possible Reasons For Mortgage Loan Denial
There are many reasons for a last minute mortgage loan denial.
- Maximum debt to income ratios allowable for FHA mortgage loans is 46.9% front end and 56.9% DTI back end to get an AUS approval
- If the borrower barely meets the required debt to income ratios and there are any additional expenses, it will disqualify the mortgage loan borrower and will trigger a mortgage loan denial per AUS
- Most lenders have overlays on debt to income ratios
- Examples of reasons of mortgage loan denial are the following:
- Additional expenses incurred due the interest rates have gone up
- Insurance premium is higher than expected
- Homeowners association fees were not calculated corrected
- Flood insurance is required
- Other income cannot be used
- Borrower applied for additional credit cards and did not tell lender about it
- Borrower maximized their credit cards so monthly payments increase
- Borrower purchased or traded in their vehicles
- Borrower changed jobs
- Borrower had recent overdraft
- Borrower forget to pay their bills on time
- Other reasons for mortgage loan denial is that the mortgage lender cannot verify the down payment because the borrower has used it or funds in banking account cannot be sourced
What To Do If Mortgage Loan Denial?
Borrowers who have been denied by a bank, credit union, or mortgage banker, find out what the reason was.
- Not all lenders have the same mortgage guidelines
- Most lenders have lender overlays
- The Gustan Cho Team at USA Mortgage does not have any overlays on government and conventional loans
- If borrowers meet the federal mortgage guidelines but got mortgage loan denial due to lender overlays, option is to go to a different mortgage lender with no overlays
Borrowers who are working with a mortgage lender with overlays and need a direct lender with no overlays on government and conventional loans, please contact The Gustan Cho Team at USA Mortgage at 262-716-8151 or email us at email@example.com. We are available 7 days a week, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
As mentioned earlier, over 75% of our borrowers are folks who ha ve been denied for a mortgage loan by another lender or are stressing over their mortgage process due to their lender overlays.