What Are Down Payment On House Purchase Requirements?
This BLOG On What Are Down Payment On House Purchase Requirements Was UPDATED On June, 16, 2017
Down Payment On House Purchase is normally required with the exception of VA Loans and USDA Loans. There are two types of traditional mortgage loan programs:
- Government Loans
- Conventional Loans
Government Loans are residential mortgage loans limited to owner occupant properties where it is originated and funded by banks and private lenders but the home loan is guaranteed by a government entity.
Here are the three government loan programs available:
- U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs insured VA Home Loans
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD) insures FHA Loans
- U.S. Development of Agriculture (Rural Development) insures USDA Loans
Purpose Of Down Payment On Home Purchase
Down Payment On Home Purchase shows that the home buyer has skin in the game.
- The more down payment buyers put down, the less likely they are to default on their home loan under the eyes of all lenders.
- The less down payment on home purchase, the more risk lenders normally have so rates are higher.
- However, government loans have lower interest rates and low and/or no down payment requirements because the government insures and guarantees banks and lenders in the even home buyers were to default on their home loan.
- Most home buyers realize that they must put a down payment on house purchase for them to get a mortgage loan.
Down Payment On House Purchase Requirements
- Studies show that homeowners are less likely to default on their mortgages if they have their own money at stake instead of financing 100%.
- Homeowners who have their hard earned money invested instead of having it financed 100% of it have less of a tendency of walking when things go rough financially with them.
- The borrowers who have down payments on a home purchase tend to repay the home loan until they either sell or pay off the loan since they have a financial investment in the home.
- Borrowers who walk away without paying or stops paying the mortgage loan will face foreclosure and ends up losing the down payment as well as the equity in the house.
What Determines Mortgage Rates?
The following are factors that determine mortgage interest rates:
- Down Payment on Conventional Loans
- Credit Scores
- Type Of Property
- A 20% down payment mortgage loan is the most traditional mortgage loan.
- With a 20% down payment, there is no private mortgage insurance required on conventional loans.
Private Mortgage Insurance Requirements
- On a conventional mortgage loan, the minimum down payment required is 5%.
- First time home buyers can put 3% down payment on conventional loans.
- First time home buyers is defined as any home buyers who had no ownership interest in a home for the past 3 years.
- For a FHA insured mortgage loan, the minimum down payment required is 3.5%.
- There are no down payment requirements on VA and USDA Loans due to the government guarantee.
- For jumbo mortgage loans, the minimum down payment required is 20% to 25% depending on the borrowers credit scores and income.
- We do have 10% down payment Jumbo Mortgages available.
Home Buyers who are interested in getting more information on this subject matter, feel free to contact us at 800-900-8569 or email Gustan Cho at firstname.lastname@example.org.